Preparation Time - 40 mins
Baking Time - 1 hour 30 mins
Number Of Servings - 8 - 10
Lemon Meringue Cake is a light and airy dessert which can be used for any occasion. It is very reminiscent of tea parties, as meringues are very often served at afternoon tea. The dessert consists of lemon sponge cake, a lemon sauce and meringue made at home with the least amount of ingredients and no preservatives. This is great for summer because of the tropical flavours and the sheer lightness of the dessert. It’ll keep you coming back for more! This recipe is by Tasnuta, and here is how to make a lemon meringue cake.
Lemon Meringue Cake
For the sponge:
For the sponge:
1. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl for 1 minute.
2. Add and mix all the dry ingredients together separately.
3. Now, gradually mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients with the egg mixture. In the end, mix the lemon zest and lemon sauce.
4. Remember to not over mix the batter. You have to mix until all the ingredients are incorporated and no lumps are seen.
5. Move this batter to a 12" square pan. Put it into the preheated oven at 170 degree C for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the Meringue:
1. Preheat the oven to 105 degree C and line a tray with a large cookie sheet.
2. Combine the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large, clean and grease-free bowl.
3. Using a hand or stand mixer, stir on low speed until mixture becomes foamy. Increase speed to high. With mixer on high, gradually add sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition until the sugar is dissolved. The mixture will become thick and shiny.(You can test this by rubbing a small bit of the mixture between your fingers, if it feels gritty, the sugar isn't dissolved).
4. Stir lemon extract and at this stage if you want to mix in some colour, do so.
5. Use a large disposable piping bag with a large star tip. Pour the mixture into it and pipe it onto the baking tray.
6. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off the oven once the baking time is complete, and do not open the oven. Leave the oven door closed and allow cookies to cool completely in the oven (1-2 hours) before removing.
1. Use a round cookie cutter to cut the sponge cake into circles, in the same as the meringue.
2. Spread fresh lemon cream on the cut sponge and place the meringue swirl on top.
3. Now decorate this with fresh sliced fruits.
Share your creations!
To keep getting inspired, do not miss out to get the latest updates on our events, blogs and newsletters on https://homebakers.co.inClick here to order a cake from homebakers.co.in Click here to find online baking and cake decorating classes.
Stay safe and keep baking!