The new year is upon us and we all like to keep new resolutions to stay healthier. But how can one avoid baking or be treated with yum baked goods. This is a time of celebration and cakes in India make it even grander. But with the whole fitness steak overpowering this new year resolution mood, how do you exactly plan to keep everything just like old times, yet healthy? I am sure that one right there is a big head scratcher, but we are here to remedy that. We bring to you seven best alternatives to sugar that will make your baked goods taste just your grandmother used to make but 10 times healthier. Hold on to your seats tight because here they come:
- Honey: Well, thanks to the bees for giving us this amazing gift. As well know honey is way sweeter than sugar, try using 1/3 part of honey for one part of sugar while baking. Also, as honey has a liquid texture, reduce the liquid content in cakes, to avoid making it runny. Honey gives the cakes a nice flavour along with a rich colour.
- Maple syrup: One can use maple syrup instead of sugar for any recipe in the world, be it waffles, or cake. The amount of maple syrup to be used while baking needs to be same as sugar. All one needs to focus on is to reduce the liquid content. It makes your cake healthy as well as fun.
- Raisin: When it comes to replacing sugar with raisin, it needs little extra work. One needs to chop the raisins extra small and store it in an airtight container. Once the raisins are chopped finely, you can use them for good 90 days. It is a great alternative to sugar while making fruit based cakes, as it gives a nice fruity flavour.
- Cinnamon: From your morning coffee to muffins, try replacing sugar with cinnamon powder and experience the wonders. It not only gives nice flavour and texture to your food and beverages, but also a blissful aroma that makes holiday season even more special.
- Processed dates: Dates are a good source of carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, potassium and what not. One can use pitted dates in their smoothies or other beverages to make it sweet. For baking, one can use date syrup that works wonders all the time.
- Coconut sugar: This masterpiece has recently gained a lot of popularity because of it does not let your blood sugar level spike and is a rich source of phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and iron. It is less sweet that regular sugar but extremely flavourful.
- Fruit puree: This is my absolute favourite alternative. For recipes such as banana bread or carrot cake or any baked goods that has a fruit as an ingredient in them, this alternative works best. For banana bread, one can try mashed ripe bananas instead of sugar, to make it rich in flavour and super healthy. Also, try applesauce and papayas while baking your favourite desserts.