By Akhileshwari Anand Raj
The caking world has grown from simple fondant structures to making intricate edible cake decoration. There are many ways a baker can use edible cake decorations to make it occasion specific and give it an overall boost in appearance. A trend that has quickly caught on is using edible lace and other elegant looking decorations. This is especially used in wedding and anniversary cakes.
Many people have replicated the pattern of lace using airbrushing techniques using a stencil, or even using lace on fondant. But this edible cake decoration recipe forms the lace shape in a manner very similar to royal icing. It is an eggless recipe. This is a great way to learn a new type of edible cake decoration and has very simple instructions. Here is the recipe from Aashu Shah of Cakes A'Fair, a cake artist from Hyderabad. Recently she demonstrated how to make an edible lace and use it to decorate a cake! Let's see her recipe and method to make an edible lace
Edible lace recipe
- Tylose powder - 1 tsp
- Hot water - 1/4 cup
- Corn flour - 2 tbsp
- Icing sugar - 1 tbsp
- Gel colour - 1/2 tsp
- Corn syrup - 1 tsp
- Vanilla powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
1) Take the tylose powder and water in a cup. Mix it together. Bear in mind that this will be a little lumpy, to begin with, but that is completely fine.
2) This mixture should be beaten using a hand blender or a stand blender. Beat it for a while until the mixture is lump-free, clear and glue-like consistency. The mixture should form string-like structures.
3) To this mixture, add the Cornflour and Icing sugar fully and beat well. If you are using vanilla powder, add it in at this stage.
4) Once it is mixed for a while, add Gel colour of your choice. White is commonly used to create a natural look, but you can choose any colour. Mix this in by beating for a few seconds, till the colour is completely and evenly mixed through.
5) After this stage, add corn syrup and beat well till fully incorporated.
6) Remove this mixture from a bowl and transfer to an airtight container. Let the mixture rest for at least 1 hour before using it to decorate.
Recipe notes and tips
This mixture can be made and stored ahead of time. It has a shelf life of at least a week.
If you do not have corn syrup, you can substitute it with glucose of the same quantity.
This recipe can be then used to mould into lace-like structures as you wish. The simplest and most commonly used method is to moulds which are lace shaped. You can fill the moulds and remove the lace with ease and use accordingly. You can also add shimmer colours using a brush or airbrush it on if that is the design you want.
Click here to watch Aashu Shah making edible lace and using to decorate a cake
To keep getting inspired, do not miss out to get the latest updates on our events, blogs and newsletters on https://homebakers.co.inClick here to order a cake from homebakers.co.in