For the second consecutive year, HomeBakers.co.in has revealed India’s & City's Top Home Bakers and The Best Baking Brands for 2020. The Top Home Bakers list helps the consumers find the very best home bakers in their city and India. About 1500 self-nominated Home Bakers from across the country were assessed by an independent panel of 21 supremely talented global top sugar artists, bakers and chefs based on six parameters - baker's qualifications, achievements, FSSAI registration, complexity, finish quality and commercial value of their cakes & bakes. India's Top Home Bakers ranking is a great way for the home bakers to recognise their skills & achievements and enhance their baking profile.
India's Top Home Bakers 2020
There are tens of thousands of home bakers in India with different experience and skill levels. When a customer compares a home baker against other home bakers and bakeries while buying a custom cake, there is minimal information about the quality of the bakers' work except for the cake listings on their social media pages, i.e., Facebook Instagram etc pages and a few customer reviews. Qualified and experienced commercial home bakers are not differentiated from the mass. There is minimal information available to consumers about their skills, experience, qualification, legal permissions, etc. This makes it difficult for customers to entrust the right home baker with their order and creates an imbalance in the market's quality versus price of custom cakes & bakes.
That's why, we decided in 2019, to identify and publish a list of “India’s & City's Top Home Bakers” based on their qualifications, achievements, food license, complexity, finish quality & the commercial value of their cakes & bakes.
The study behind the rankings and best baking brands is a mammoth task that runs over 4-5 months. It will not be a feasible study without our sponsors. The 2020 ranking was powered by Pillsbury and supported by 2m Cocoa, IFF (Bush Flavours), Bulfyss and CDeco. Click here to view the list of top home bakers in your city:
India's Best Baking Brands 2020
Home bakers use multiple baking & caking products & tools of different brands. Still, there is very limited information available on the best brands that are most suitable for home bakers based on the reach, pricing, quality and other parameters. There are hardly any review or comparison available in the market. They either buy based on a recommendation from other bakers/tutors/cake artists or what’s available with the neighbourhood baking supplier or freebies received in the cake shows/training.
Thats why we decided to identify the “India’s Best Baking Brands” solely based on baker’s experience across multiple parameters that matter the most to them. India's Best Baking Brands for 2020 as per the baker's vote across multiple parameters are as follows:
- India’s Best Stand Mixer For Home Bakers
- India’s Best Hand Mixer For Home Bakers
- India’s Best Baking Oven For Home Bakers
- India’s Best Baking Flavours For Home Bakers
- India’s Best Fondant For Home Bakers
- India’s Best Gumpaste For Home Bakers
- India’s Best Modelling Paste For Home Bakers
Modelling Paste is a third type of sugarpaste used mainly to model figurines. Its not very popular in India but bakers have started to realise the potential of this paste over fondant to model the figurines. There arent many brands offering modelling paste. The finalists for India’s Best Modelling Paste based on bakers voting across 8 parameters are:
Winner - Confect
- India’s Best Whipping Cream For Home Bakers
Most of the customers prefer whipping cream cakes and infact you wont find whipping cream in wetern countries. There are many brands out there, but as per baker's voting across 7 parameters, the finalists are:
Winner - Tropolite
Runner-up - Rich's
- India’s Best Royal Icing For Home Bakers
Royal Icing is used by a third of bakers to decorate their cakes & cookies. The finalists for India’s Best Royal Icing based on bakers voting across 7 parameters are:
Winner - Magic Colours
Runner-up - BakersWhip
- India’s Best Baking Colours For Home Bakers
There are many national and international brands present in India offering colours, dusts and gel. The finalists for India’s Best Royal Icing based on bakers voting across 8 parameters are:
Winner - Magic Colours
Runner-up - ChefMaster
- India’s Best Modelling Tools For Home Bakers
Modelling Tools are mainy used for sugar art. The finalists for India’s Best Modelling Tools based on baker's voting across 5 parameters are:
Winner - Ultimakes
Runner-up - PME
- India’s Best Baking E-retailer For Home Bakers
The finalists for India’s Best Baking E-Retailer based on baker's voting across 8 parameters are:
Winner - Amazon India
Runner-up - ArifeOnline.com
- India’s Best Compound Chocolate For Home Bakers
About 75% of the bakers use compound chocolate and the balance use coverture chocolate. Infact compound is not chocolate as per the technical definition but quite a relevant alternative for couverture for India weather conditions. The finalists for Compound Chocolate based on baker's voting across 7 parameters are:
Winner - Morde Chocolates
Runner-up - Van Leer
- India’s Best Couverture Chocolate For Home Bakers
The finalists for Couverture Chocolate based on baker's voting across 7 parameters are:
Winner - Van Houten Professional India
Runner-up - Callebaut
- India’s Best Edible Paint Dilutor For Home Bakers
About a fifth of bakers use a stand mixer as it requires a higher investment. It's one of the prized possession for any baker and a reflection of the quantity of baking they do. The winner for India’s Best Stand Mixer based on bakers voting across 9 parameters is:
Winner - KitchenAid
Runner-up - Philips India
About a 75% of the bakers use a hand mixer. While there are many chinese brands available in the markets these days but the branded ones still lead the pack. The winner for India’s Best Hand Mixer based on bakers voting across 8 parameters is:
Winner - Philips India
Runner-up - Morphy Richards
Over 80% of bakers use a baking oven and 70% of them use an Oven Toaster Grill (OTG). Its the single most important appliance for home bakers who want to bake commercially. The winner for India’s Best Baking Oven based on voting across 6 parameters is:
Winner - Morphy Richards
Runner-up - Bajaj Electricals
Baking Flavours is one of the most widely used products used by 96% of bakers. The finalists for India’s Best Baking Flavours based on bakers voting across 8 parameters are:
Winner - Fab Flavours & Fragrances
Runner-up - IFF Bush Flavours
Roughly two-thirds of bakers use fondant to decorate their cakes. The winner for India’s Best Fondant based on bakers voting across 8 parameters is:
Winner - Vizyon
Runner-up - Confect
Roughly one-third of bakers use gumpaste for sugar flowers. The finalists for India’s Best Gumpaste based on bakers voting across 8 parameters are:
Winner - Vizyon
Runner-up - Confect
Best Edible Paint Dilutor is used with colours for painting and air brushing on fondant. Its used by 40-45% of the bakers. The finalists for India’s Best Edible Paint Dilutor based on bakers voting across 4 parameters are:
Winner - Fab Flavours & Fragrances
Runner-up - Purix
How did the home bakers participate?
To participate in the ranking, the home bakers from India nominated thmselves by filling out an online form.
This was a self-nomination form that was completed by home bakers who wished to be part of the study. The baker had to be at least 18 years of age, a resident of India, and a home baker with no physical bakery store. They uploaded the pictures of their 10 best creations in the form. The nomination process was opened until 15th November 2020. Click here to read the Frequently Asked Questions and Terms & Conditions for the process.
How were the home bakers chosen as India's or City's Top Home Bakers?
Home Bakers nominating themselves by completing a nomination form and sharing pictures of their 10 best creations. We distributed the bakers entered documentation amongst the 20 judges based on their skill sets. The 20 Judges reviewed the 10 photos submitted by each baker and scored them on complexity, finish quality and commercial value of their cakes. We standardised the marks for each judge to reduce the impact of the difference in judging style. About a third of the bakers who were the top scorers for each judge were then further scored by the head judge. We combined the scores using appropriate weightage. We then assigned scores for a food license, qualification and achievements based on the baker's declared information and computed the overall score. This gave us the top home bakers at a city and the country level.Click here to view the list of top home bakers in your city
How were the brands chosen as India's Best Baking Brands for Home Bakers?
Determining the best brands of baking products started with choosing a list of parameters for each product. This was done with the guidance of baking experts. Then, the home bakers rated the brands on those parameters based on their experience with these products. We then assigned the scores to each rating for each response and aggregated the scores. Based on the total scores, the final rankings of the brands were determined.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why should I participate in Top 100 campaign?
A. By participating in a national event, you demonstrate that you took the initiative to explore your passions.
We also understand that it takes fervor, dedication, and innovation to join this elite group of growing homemakers. Being recognized as a Top 10/ Top 25 / Top 50 / Top 100 helps propel your baking business to even greater heights.
In case, you need more reasons to nominate yourself, here they’re!
- BENEFIT from coverage in the market-leading media
- RECOGNITION amongst your fellow bakers in your city & country
- PROMOTE your winning success to your prospective customers through the use of the Top 100 bakers logo
- ATTRACT new customers and generate loyalty
Q. Does the nomination form have to be completed online?
A. Yes, it is an online process.
Q. What is the process for participation?
You will need to nominate yourself by filling out an online form and uploading pictures of your best creations. Once you have submitted the form, you will receive an automated email notification indicating that an online application was received. The nomination for 2021 will start in July 2021.
For any query, drop an email at email@example.com or WhatsApp +918790910234 or +447538068400
Q. How will we know Homebakers received the online registration form.co.in?
You would have received an automated email notification indicating that homebakers received the online application.co.in. If you wish you edit your response, you can edit the response via the link sent to you by email. If you have questions about your application form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Q. When and how will the results be announced?
A. The results were announced on 31st December 2020.
Q. Who do I contact for further assistance?
Please email email@example.com or WhatsApp +9170019 53879 or +4475380 68400 with any questions you may have about the programme. We will get in touch with you within the briefest delay.
Terms & Conditions
- The Top 100 Home Bakers nomination process for 2021 opens on 1st July 2021 and will remain open until 31st October 2020, 11:59 pm. No entries after the last date will be accepted.
- There is no cost for nominating.
- The person nominated must be - at least 18 years of age, a resident of India, and a home baker with no commercial establishment for their baking.
- Once all nominations are received, an initial shortlisting process will be done. Nominating is NOT a voting procedure.
- Your nomination does not guarantee your place in the Top 100 list.
- The nominator consents to allow us to use the information given to us by them. This can be used for promotional and marketing purposes, amongst others. This includes name, gender, photographs, contact information, and all other information submitted in the process of this competition.
- These awards are remote. The results of this competition will be declared on the website homebakers.co.in. The same will be intimated to nominees via our social media pages.
- No request for re-evaluation of results will be entertained. The decision of the judging panel and homebakers.co.in is final.
- The role of the judges is to help determine the process of this competition, add their valuable inputs, and to conduct the judging with the shortlisted persons.
- Judges cannot be nominated for the competition.
- Judges are bound by these terms to maintain confidentiality about the awards process, the results of the competition and other trade secrets as deemed fit by Us.
- The information given by the judges in the process of judging can be used by us for creating content for our blog and social media, and all rights remain with us for the same.
- The decision of the judges and homebakers.co.in is final, and it cannot be questioned.
- Judges affiliated to any businesses or brands, will not in any way be involved in the assessment of a product linked to that brand.
- Lead and associate partners have no direct or indirect influence on the judging process.