There’s a lot of talk about FSSAI registration for home bakers, but many doubts creep up when we have to understand which one we need to opt for and why FSSAI registration for home bakers is necessary. If your main query is how to get an FSSAI license for a home bakery or even about what is a home bakery license, this article has all the answers. This article will explain the different methods available, the easiest ways in which one can file online and all your doubts surrounding the FSSAI Registration which is your home bakery license.
What is the FSSAI?
FSSAI stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. This authority implements the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 and Food Safety and Standards Regulations, 2011. This Authority is to ensure food standardization and to make sure that people who do sell food within India do so with some basic safety standards, making the food safe to consume for the general public. This authority covers a large base of businesses - right from restaurants and pubs and home bakers too. They have different requirements depending on how many people you are serving, your annual turnover, whether you have a storefront location or seating area for your customers, etc. Your food safety is guaranteed by them. FSSAI Registration acts as a seal of approval and confidence for customers.
Is FSSAI registration for home bakers mandatory?
Yes! The law in India mandates FSSAI registration and getting this will ensure you have your home bakery license. If you avoid it, you may face legal issues. You will not be able to sell your products online through any delivery app without this registration. The FSSAI could ban you from continuing your business in the future and impose a fine on you. Moreover, it gives your customers trust in your products because of the seal of approval by a government institution, and protects you from unwanted client trouble later on. If your clients come back to you citing any quality-related issue, you can always fall back on your FSSAI registration. This shows that you take all the required steps to ensure hygiene and safety while baking.
Do I need FSSAI registration to sell on particular platforms?
Yes. Another reason why the FSSAI registration for home bakers, which is the home bakery license, is important. It allows you to sell your bakes online. If you want to list yourself on various e-commerce or delivery sites, at the time of registration, you will be asked for FSSAI registration. This is the case with popular aggregators such as Swiggy and Zomato. This is mandatory. They will not approve your seller account without this registration, which has to be done in your name (if it is a sole proprietorship) or in the name of your business. The reason why they need this is that baking businesses without an FSSAI registration are not considered as legally existing. These apps will not let you register if you can't prove that your documents are in order and you are allowed by the FSSAI to conduct your business.
You can also sign up to sell on our website here.
What kind of FSSAI license is required for home bakers?
The two options available under the FSSAI are License and Registration. The license is granted at the Central and State level; the former for medium to large enterprises, and the latter for medium enterprises. Registration is only done at one level, i.e. state level, and is mainly for petty food businesses. The main distinction lies in the revenue and scale of operations of the organization.
Most home bakers are likely to fall under the FSSAI Registration category. Apart from the various manufacturers and producers who fall under this, home bakers will fall under this if their turnover is up to 12 lakhs per annum. Keep in mind that turnover is not the same as profit. If you are earning a total of less than 12 lakh every year by baking, then you will need registration. However, if you earn more than 12 lakh total every year, you will need an FSSAI license. This is because you will no longer qualify as a petty food business. If you make a profit of over 12 lakh per annum, you will most definitely need a license because your turnover will also be higher than 12 lakh, naturally.
It is safe to assume that many home bakers fall under this category, not just because of the amount cap for turnover, but also because the Licence category at the state level is only for medium-level enterprises with at least 5 - 10 employees. Most people who bake from home do so alone. At most, people bake with one or two other known persons. There is rarely an employee-employer relationship with multiple people when you are operating from your home kitchen.
Do I need to have 12 lakh as turnover per annum to register for FSSAI?
No. You have to register even if your annual turnover is less than 12 lakh. Even if you earn less than 1 lakh or Rs. 50000 per annum, you will have to get your business registered if you are in the business of selling homemade cakes and other bakes. If you earn more than 12 lakh, you will have to apply for a license.
Can I operate anywhere with this registration?
No. You will only be permitted to carry on your baking business at the address that you submit to FSSAI. If you are changing your location, such as moving to a different house, you will have to apply for editing of your registration to change it to the new address. If you intend to move to a different state permanently, you will have to do the same process of editing. However, if at all you wish to operate in two or more different states at the same time, such as a different family member running your baking business in a different state, or if you frequently travel, then you will need a license. Even if your turnover in total (i.e. of all your locations) does not cross 12 lakh per annum, you will need a license for operating in two or more different states.
Do you need a separate premises for undertaking your business?
No. As a home baker, it is sufficient if you provide your home address for availing of FSSAI registration. This is permitted because the nature of your business is small-scale. But if you do have a separate working space, such as a studio, that address should be provided as your business address. You can get FSSAI registration whether or not you have a working space separate from your home kitchen.
Do I need a food safety management plan for registering my home baking business?
Usually, this is not required. But this will depend on your scale of operations and annual turnover. If you are looking for guidance on how to get your FSSAI registration or how to get your FSSAI license for your home kitchen, you can reach out to us and we will apply on your behalf.
If I live in a rented house, will I require specific permission from the owner to get this registration? Is the rent deed sufficient for proof of premises?
For the FSSAI registration, a rent deed or agreement in your name or any of your family member's names will be sufficient proof of possession. You do not need any written permission from the owner to get the registration.
What type of business does a home baker fall under in the FSSAI form?
There are several factors to be considered. It is not possible to provide a straightforward categorization. If you are a home baker looking to get your FSSAI registration, we can help you with the same.
Do I need a Shops and Establishments Act registration, GST registration, incorporation deed, health licenses or any other such legal documents alongside a FSSAI registration?
If your turnover is less than 12 lakh per annum, you do not require any other registration except the FSSAI registration for home bakers. Registration as a shop is only required if you operate a storefront where you sell your bakes. An incorporation deed is to establish a separate company to run your business, rather than you doing it alone. Please note that this is a general answer and does not constitute legal advice.
How can I renew my registration?
The FSSAI registration, which is the food license for home bakers, is available for 1 to 5 years, and you can choose how many years you want to apply for. If you have applied for a shorter duration and now need to extend your registration, you can contact us regarding the same and we can help. You need to keep your registration renewed and valid as long as you continue undertaking your baking business. At the time of renewal, you can change certain details such as your address, contact number and email. In case your annual turnover has significantly increased and crossed the 12 lakh per annum threshold, you will need to apply for a fresh license which acts as your food license for home bakers, instead of renewing your registration. If you are looking to get your registration renewed, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your details and we can help you with the same.
How to apply for FSSAI registration for home bakers?
The process for registration is as follows:
- You can apply online, which we can do for you.
- We. will require a few documents from you. Using this, we will file the application with the authority.
- On application, there may be a visit by an FSSAI official to your home kitchen or studio space.
- Post this visit, your application will be approved. You will be issued your registration with a 14 digit number.
- A self-attested copy of Aadhaar Card/ Voter identity card of Owner/ Partners/ Director (or any other government issued ID proof).
- A self-attested photograph of yourself.
Our fees for this service are as follows:
- FSSAI Registration for One Year - Rs. 750 + GST.
- FSSAI Registration for Two Years - Rs. 1195 + GST.
- FSSAI Registration for Three Years - Rs. 1595 + GST.
- FSSAI Registration for Five Years - Rs. 2495 + GST.
Renewal of FSSAI Registration for Home Bakers:
- If you have a registration for FSSAI for home bakers already, but it is expiring soon, then we can help you renew it.
- Renewal of FSSAI license for home bakers can be done online, and we can do it for you do for you.
- This FSSAI license for home bakers can be renewed 120 days (i.e. 4 months) before it expires.
- If your old FSSAI license for home bakers has already expired, you cannot renew it. A fresh application has to be submitted.
- Our fees for the renewal is the same as our fees for a fresh application for FSSAI for home bakers.
Terms and Conditions for the purchase of FSSAI Registration on homebakers.co.in
- The purchase on our website only includes the application fee, service fee and taxes. We are not liable for any extra cost that the baker may have to incur during the process. This includes, but is not limited to, the cost of visiting the FSSAI office, additional challan payments sought at the office, any tests, audits or affidavits required by the authority, cost of re-submission of application due to erroneous information given by the applicant/ due to any additional details required by the FSSAI officials and cost of inspection of the home kitchen.
- Homebakers.co.in only facilitates the application process. We cannot be held liable for rejection of your application arising out of any reason.
- You will be responsible for the details you provide us with. It is also your responsibility to sign the documents that we send to you in the process of the application and send them back to us in a legible manner (via scan). We will not be responsible if any issue arises out of erroneous information or incorrect signing and filling up of the documents we send to you.
- Registration is valid only if your yearly turnover is below 12 lakh per annum. If yours is higher and you have applied for registration (and not the FSSAI licence), your application cannot be completed. If your income is misrepresented by you and your application is rejected/ the FSSAI requests more details leading to disqualification, we cannot be held liable for the same.
- Under some circumstances, the FSSAI authority may require the applicant to submit the application in - person at the FSSAI office. This is not under our control. This has to be done by the baker themselves and cannot be done by us, as the FSSAI authority requires the physical presence of the owner of the baking business. Our responsibility only extends up to informing you of the physical visit required. We cannot be held liable for any cost of the physical visit.
- A site visit may be conducted by the FSSAI official before your registration is granted. This will be to check the premises in which you conduct your baking. It is your responsibility to maintain your premises and be prepared for a site visit. We will not be responsible for any liability arising out of the same, including if the application is rejected after the site visit.
- The amount paid by you to us for the registration is non - refundable under any and all circumstances.
- We do not guarantee a timeline within which the registration certificate will be issued. We only apply on your behalf, we do not have any control over the approval mechanism. You will not be entitled to a refund if you apply under the impression that we can complete your registration as soon as possible.
We hope you found this information useful. Please do share it with your home baker friends if you think they will too. If you have any more doubts or would like to know more about the registration, you can email us at email@example.com or leave a comment down below!
Stay safe and keep baking!