Preparation Time - 45 mins
Cook Time - 15 mins
Number Of Servings - 6- 8
Honey cake is one of the most iconic pastries to come out of Bangalore (or so the legend goes). It may not be as well known in other places, but it is such a delightful recipe that it is worth trying at least once. The simple idea behind the cake is layering sponge cake soaked in honey syrup or sauce. It is topped with reduced jam, preferably the mixed fruit kind and desiccated coconut. It is a simple dessert which takes only a modest amount of time to make and is easy to nail even for a beginner.
This honey cake recipe is by Chef Avin Thaliath. Avin is a chef, educationist, an entrepreneur, author and a PhD holder. An educationist at heart, he currently serves as the Co-founder & Director of Academics at Lavonne Academy of Baking Science and Pastry Arts, India. He has authored a number of academic journals, books, and monographs and has presented award-winning papers at top-level industry summits. Chef Avin has also served as Assistant Professor at Christ University, Bangalore. With a profile as strong as his, Chef Avin has been featured on television talk shows. His experience in the industry spans many years and he lends his proficiency to the art and science of Baking and Patisserie arts especially as an educationist. You can follow Chef Avin and his beautiful creations at https://www.instagram.com/chef_avin/
1. Mix all wet ingredients together.
2. Also, mix all the dry ingredients together.
3. Combine the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
4. Put the mixture inside a cake tin and bake it for 15 minutes at 180 degrees C.
5. Once it is baked, put it aside and let it cool down completely
6. Make the honey syrup using water, honey and sugar. Mix it together, bring it to boil, pour it in a bowl and let it cool down completely.
7. Meanwhile, make the jam sauce by mixing fruit jam to water, heat it up, bring it to boil, pour it in a bowl and let it cool down completely.
8. Once the cake is completely cooled down, use a skewer to cut the top of the cake and make small holes.
9. Pour the sugar syrup and spread the sugar syrup using a brush.
10. Pour the jam sauce you have made and keep the cake inside the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
11. Take the cake out and sprinkle the desiccated coconut on top of the spread jam sauce and put it back in the refrigerator for another 10-20 minutes.
12. Take it out from the fridge and serve it cold. Happy Baking!
Watch this video of Chef Avin Thaliath demonstrating how to make a Honey Cake.
Share your creations!
So here you go! I hope you try this recipe at home. Tag @homebakers.co.in on Facebook and @homebakers_co_in on Instagram to share your creation, and we will share your creations on our social media handles!
To keep getting inspired, do not miss out to get the latest updates on our events, blogs and newsletters on https://homebakers.co.in
Stay safe and keep baking!