By Akhileshwari Anand Raj
Preparation Time - 20 mins
Baking Time - 30 mins
Number Of Servings - 10 - 12
Butterscotch Banana bread
Banana bread is one of the easiest things to bake because you can never go wrong with it! As long as you use overripe bananas, your bread will pack a punch and be a crowd-pleaser. It is also very easy to prep for because it is straightforward and simple, with no risk of over-mixing or overbeating the batter. It also adds no pressure of requiring an icing to go with it or even simple sugar syrup. This is a standalone star, which you can eat as dessert any time of the day.
Here we have Gwen Lobo’s recipe for Butterscotch Banana Bread, taking it a step higher with more flavours. Read on to see what Gwen has to say about her inspiration for this recipe!
“We have been homebound for over a month due to COVID and we are trying our best to utilise our resources judiciously. So when bananas start browning the instant thought is to make banana bread. My daughter has been home for the lockdown and has been lending a helping hand in the kitchen. All of ten she is already quite accomplished in baking and is a very picky eater. But bananas are her favourite fruit. So while I decided to make the bread she came up with the variations of butterscotch and caramel for it. Also, she loves raisins so that got incorporated along with chocolate chips and butterscotch chips which are her favourite. The way the flavours complimented each other was something that made this combination go above and way beyond the regular banana bread.Here is the recipe:"
- Mashed banana - 230 grams or 3 med sized 110 grams butter
- Butter – 70 grams
- Castor sugar - 150 grams
- Eggs - 2
- Butterscotch essence - 1.5 tsp
- Yogurt - 120 grams
- All purpose flour - 180 grams
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Chocolate chips - a handful
- Raisins, chopped - 10 to 15
- Butterscotch pieces - Handful
- Salted caramel (optional) - 2 tbsp
1. Preheat your oven at 175 degrees Celcius.
2. Melt the butter, and add sugar to it. Beat it well until the butter is pale yellow or the sugar is fully incorporated.
3. Add the eggs to the mixture one by one and beat. Then add the butterscotch essence and beat.
4. Add the mashed banana to the mixture and use a spoon to mix well. Do not beat the mixture.
5. Sieve in the flour and baking soda and fold it in.
6. If you do want to add some sliced bananas for some texture, you can add it at this stage and mix.
7. Add the chocolate chips, butterscotch pieces and raisins to the batter. You can also add walnuts and other fruits and nuts as per your desire.
8. Pour the batter in a loaf pan which has been greased with butter.
9. Swirl in the salted caramel or caramel sauce, if you choose to use it. You can even swirl in chocolate sauce.
10. Top with additional chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
11. Bake at 175 degree Celsius for about 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Here you have it, Butterscotch Banana Bread which gives you the freedom to add as many or little extra flavours as you want.
Share your creations!
To keep getting inspired, do not miss out to get the latest updates on our events, blogs and newsletters on https://homebakers.co.inClick here to order a cake from homebakers.co.in Click here to find online baking and cake decorating classes.
Stay safe and keep baking!